alt
alt
Florence
alt
Art at Site 	www.firenzearte.nl	Charles Francis	Fuller	Monumento all'Indiano
Artist:
Title:
Year:
Adress:
Website:

Charles Francis Fuller

Monumento all'Indiano

1870
Parco delle Cascine
Website
www.wikipedia.org:
Fu costruito nel 1870 dallo scultore inglese Carlo Francesco Fuller. Il monumento ha la forma di un baldacchino a volta sorretto da quattro colonnine, sotto il quale è presente il busto scolpito del defunto principe indiano Rajaram Chuttraputti di Kolhapur con una iscrizione in quattro lingue: italiano, inglese, hindi e punjabi. Il giovane principe era di ritorno da un viaggio a Londra - dove era andato per studio e per salutare la regina d'Inghilterra - e mentre era a Firenze alloggiato al Grand Hotel di piazza Ognissanti fu colpito da un malore improvviso che il 30 novembre 1870 lo uccise all'età di ventun'anni.
Il suo corpo fu arso secondo il rito indù alla confluenza di due fiumi (in questo caso Arno e Mugnone), dove furono sparse le sue ceneri. L'evento suscitò all'epoca la curiosità di molti fiorentini che vennero numerosi per assistere alla cerimonia e da allora il luogo fu chiamato "l'Indiano". Nel 1972 fu costruito un ponte in prossimità del monumento che prese il nome di ponte all'Indiano.
Translation:
It was built in 1870 by British sculptor Charles Francis Fuller. The monument has the shape of a vaulted canopy supported by four pillars, beneath which there is the carved bust of the late Indian Prince Rajaram Kolhapur Chuttraputti with an inscription in four languages: Italian, English, hindi and punjabi. The young Prince was returning from a trip to London-where he went to study and to greet the Queen of England-and while he was in Florence housed in the Grand Hotel piazza Ognissanti was struck by a sudden illness on November 30, 1870 killed him at the age of twenty-one.
His body was buried according to Hindu ritual at the confluence of two rivers (in this case the Arno and Mugnone), where her ashes were scattered. The event aroused the curiosity of many Florentines who were to attend the ceremony and from then on the place was called "the Indian". In 1972, a bridge was built near the monument that became known as the bridge to India.